Monday, May 29, 2006

The air in Portugal is full of Oxygen


In addition to great food, even better wine, and much better weather than Germany, Nuno's hospitality has made our week long meeting simply wonderful and very productive so far.

After the first two days of intensive work on the Oxygen Icons (http://oxygen-icons.org) things are looking better than ever. Aside from random acts of spontaneous and unprovoked artwork we (David, Nuno and myself) have made most icons used in several core KDE apps (Kontact for instance) as well as those for the panel and desktop.


In addition to the Mimetypes and Devices which were already well underway we will have a first release for KDE4 ready sometime in the near future.

6 comments:

  1. The three icons look almost lifelike. Great job! Just one question -- wouldn't the stopwatch and envelope look 'neater' if they were oriented straight-up?

    Maybe it's just me, but I like to have a neat desktop (in real life, too) and objects that point every which way make the desktop look somewhat disorganized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, but don't they look just perfect, I mean when I first saw the icons previewed on the oxygen website I saw average icons but these are comparable/better in quality to Apple's (I mean that as a compliment).

    ReplyDelete
  3. wouldn't the stopwatch and envelope look 'neater' if they were oriented straight-up?

    They don't necessarily have to point straight up, but I think consistency in angles is important. So if they were all oriented in the same direction I think they would look better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the angles do need to be very similar to improve consistency. We are working on it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great icons! I hope the smaller versions will look as good, 'cause 128x128 is a bit too big for my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They don't necessarily have to point straight up, but I think consistency in angles is important.

    I don't think chosing an arbitrary angle (say 35 degrees) is a wise idea. The vast majority of existing icons are already upright (0 degreees), and Oxygen icons would look really out of place if they were shown alongside other icons.

    The only reason to show an object at an angle is if that particular position makes the object more recognizable. Everything else should be vertical, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive